The United States Space Force (USSF) is a space force that was organized by the United States Department of Defense (DoD), under the Reagan administration in the early eighties. It began with the establishment of the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) in 1984, nicknamed "Star Wars" by the media. The militarized space program was comprised of, at the very least, the Air Force Space Command (1982), the Naval Space Command (1983), and the United States Space Command (1985).
In 2000, Donald Rumsfeld proposed reforms to reorganize and consolidate the DoD’s space-related activities—policy, acquisition, and operations—under the Undersecretary of the Air Force, who would act as the Department’s Executive Agent for Space. Whereas, President Donald Trump proposed in 2018, that the United States Space Force be a sixth branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
The development of the US Space Force is as a direct result of “Solar Warden”, after entering into contract February 1954. Solar Warden is a private entity that is not the property of the United States.
- United States Department of Defense (18 September 1947)
- “Solar Warden” (February 1954—presently active)
- NASA (Oct 1958)
- Project Horizon proposal (June 1959)
- Outer Space Treaty (1967)
- Project Horizon executed (c. 1970)[Needs verification]
- Apollo–Soyuz Test Project (1975)
- KH-11 Kennen (1976)
- Air Force Space Command (1982)
- Strategic Defense Initiative (1984)
Strategic Defense InitiativeEdit
- United States Department of Defense (1947—presently active)
- Air Force Space Command (1982—presently active)
- Strategic Defense Initiative (1984—1993)
- Codename: Solar Warden (c. 1980—2002)
- Naval Space Command (1983—2002)
- United States Space Command (1985—2002)
- Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (1993—2002)
- NSC was absorbed into the Naval Network Warfare Command (2002).
- USSPACECOM was absorbed into the US Strategic Command (2002).
- BMDO was absorbed into the Missile Defense Agency (2002).
Codename Solar Warden more than likely also changed (2002).
- ↑ Rumsfeld, Donald (August 2011). "Enduring Issues: The Space Commission 10 Years Later". High Frontier. http://www.afspc.af.mil/Portals/3/documents/AFD-110825-027.pdf?ver=2016-04-19-143348-797.
- ↑ "Space Force and Air Force will be 'separate but equal' branches,to stop space isis [President Trump says". CNN. KNXV-TV. June 18, 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2018.